In August 2009 I met a guy on a flight from Seattle to Dallas, TX named Jedidiah Wick. When he found out I was a musician he told me his wife was a singer and they were interested in ways to start a music career. I think I had been up since 5am flying from Anchorage, Alaska that I was a bit delirious but I was also somehow intrigued about how well Jedidiah engaged me in conversation. It didn't seem to be a desperate plea for help but more of a how can you help us progress farther along than we have already gone. I enjoyed the conversation and when our flight arrived in Dallas I gave Jedidiah my number and told him to call me when he and his wife wanted to make a record. And I have to be honest that I never really thought much about it after the flight. But I have to attest that it was one of the better conversations that I've ever had on any flight I've ever been on.
So of course time goes on and I decide to move to LA. I get this email from Jedidiah out of the blue in December 2010 that he and his wife want to make a record. So when I finally moved into my place in Sherman Oaks, CA I scheduled a conference call with The Wicks to talk to them about budgets, schedule, and record details. From the first moment of the conversation with them I was struck by how serious and driven they were. It wasn't a "hey can you produce a record for us and get us signed??" But more of a "How can you help progress our career and give us the tools we need?" I was very impressed with that... And honestly it made me work harder for them and alongside them.
So I found out that Pauline Wick had written all these awesome lyrics but had no Music. So I took on the challenge of writing all the music to the lyrics she gave me and we solidified the rest of the music all together in Marina Del Ray, CA while in Pre- Production. We worked our tails off in making this record and it was a fun and creative effort all around. Please take a listen and buy the 7 songs from the top or bottom link.
Vocals and all things VOX by Pauline Wick
More Vocals by Jedidiah Wick
B3 organs by Troy Welstad
All Guitars by Steven Miller
Mixed by Steven Miller
Mastered by Dale Becker
Everything else by dis one guy
Now on every flight I take anywhere I make it a point to engage someone in conversation. Because I never know when I'll find another awesome group like The Wicks out there again. So Thank You Wicks for helping me emerge from my mundane airport and flying cocoon. :)
Go follow The Wicks on Twitter www.twitter.com/thewicksmusic
Like em on Facebook www.facebook.com/thewicksmusic

2 comments:
I love a good back story to my music. And I love this music! Pauline's voice is killer! The musicians, mixing, production everything is just great. and just think what beauty would have never happened if you had simply pulled your hat over your face and slept the flight away, Jon! Me thinks the hand of God was running amok!
I just met this guy a couple of days ago at my work (he and his band were in shopping and I was the cashier) and he was super friendly and engaging. Very nice to find a new band to listen to, as well.
Post a Comment