Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's a Jungle out there for the Indie Artists

But as I say press on!!!

This article on Music Think Tank was great and still backed up every notion I still have about how to go about it alone.

It can be done.. And I think we live in a time where web developers are building the best tools and sites to help and capitalize on the DIY musicians' Indie ideals and aspirations.

But I truly feel that every musician needs to stop listening to so many things about "getting big" or that "getting signed will save you". It needs to stop! The music industry is in full on survival mode.. It has never caught up with the Digital age and artists and bands are thrown at the wall to see if they stick. If not then they are done, dropped, and shelved!

Do what's right for you.. and don't sign a record deal because it's a record deal. Would you buy a car that's a piece of crap and know it would break down in 6 months to never run again? Well the same goes for signing record deals and the anything else in the music industry as a whole. You even have car salesman disguised as A&R's and they want to sell you a Lemon. For proof read on more here..


http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

But you have to be with people you trust and you have to do what you feel in your heart is right.. But sometimes you need to really think over why you're doing this in the first place.. There are many avenues you can explore in the music industry. And you need to really figure out what is truly success for you. So below are some categories of the end goals that many musicians may aspire too. See which you fit into.

Is your goal as musician, artist, or band
  • To be rich, famous, and party in a bus and private plane? Have a Record Company call the shots for you. An Artist manager market you as a doll or dream boy.. Constantly hounded by leeches that wanna capitalize on your success and end up like Britney Spears?
  • To simply be content with making a comfortable living in music and have regional fame?
  •  To make a record for your family and friends. Maybe play a few club shows when you have time?
  • To make records on your own, book your own tours, find new ways to distribute your record online and in local, regional, national, and worldwide stores. Be your own publicist, publisher, and manager 
Whatever your goals and aspirations are, and they can definitely go beyond or expand more than what I've explained, You need to always stick to your guns of why you started making music in the first place.  You will always be faced with compromise and believe me you can end up being the person you hate and making music you don't enjoy at all. Always remember who you are and never forget your love for music and not the business of music.

Just like a great quote I read from Jonas Myrin yesterday that read

"Don't overthink it, Just follow your heart"

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/what-are-the-odds-of-succeeding-without-a-record-deal.html

2 comments:

Bob Singleton said...

You got it right. It's a different artist's environment/music biz now than it was 10 years ago. I actually think I like it better now. I think.

Jon Skaggs said...

Thanks Bob!! I think I do to.. We can access anything and anyone now. The walls have had to come down and I think that's been a great thing for artists. Good to hear from you man! You're the coolest ever to comment on my blog! Thanks again! :)